We’re pretty sure that there are people in the world who have things worth saying that we’ll never have the chance to hear in person. That’s why we’re thankful for books. At the end of last year, Weddle and Sons decided to take advantage of some of the published wisdom in the world, so naturally, we started a winter book club. (Not where you thought your neighborhood roofers would be before work on Wednesday mornings, is it?!) Our book club was a great way to help our team grow and develop both personally and professionally, and we enjoyed having conversations about things other than roofs!
After reading books like Leadership and Self-Deception and The 5 Dysfunctions of a Team, here's what our team had to say about what they've learned:
- "I think one of the biggest things I learned was how to treat people like people and not like objects - to treat them with respect." -Brian
- "One thing I've learned is how to communicate better with my teammates." -Tim
- "Book club has been good because it has made me reflect on my life and realize ways that I had been self-centered." - Moses
- "I learned that personal responsibility is not related to others' expectations, but to my capacities" -Ben
- "It was fun to watch a team understand the importance of thinking outside the box when interacting with other team members and clients. I enjoyed watching them grow personally as they went through the reading series." -Josh
It’s been a great experience to read and learn together as a team over the last few months, and we look forward to starting up our weekly book club again next winter!
Have any books that have been impactful in your life that you think we ought to take a look at? Leave us a comment on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/weddleandsons/